2014-03-10

Plan E, possibly F

As it turns out I've decided to push all my focus into a single delivery to be the game rather than several deliveries. There is more than enough good stuff within this delivery I'm working on to serve as a demo of the system that I'm building. It's probably better to keep things as simple as possible any way. If I can get this first part right then I'll be in a better place to expand into the events before and after the delivery later on.

One thing that I have to figure out is how to work around the choices that could have been made that influence the main character's state during this delivery. I don't think I can avoid talking about how the player's day has gone, but I also don't want to rely on specific past events to drive the story. If I can't make this work in a good way, I'll have to stick to my old plan but extend my deadline for sure.

[spoilers ahoy]


[NO REALLY SPOILERS]

Why am I so interested in this particular delivery? Well the player has basically had a really crappy thing happen and this is his final delivery of the night. He shows up just wanting to get it over with until he sees who opens the door. The cheesy thing to do here would be to just have a naked lady answer and let the rest write itself, but that is kind of boring. Instead a mysteriously familiar woman answers the door and it's up to the player to figure out who she is.

Since you are reading this, I'll tell you she is actually the mother of an old ex girlfriend that he broke up with around 6 years ago. They hadn't met previously since it was a rather short relationship, but it adds an interesting dynamic to their meeting tonight I think. The attraction the player has for her becomes obvious when the ex comes to the door to pay for the food. Her fiance is out having his bachelor party before the wedding next week but she decided to just spend time with her mother instead of having a bachelorette party. They planned to just chill with some pizza and a movie but... plans could change.

So yeah, I really want this situation to be extremely rewarding but also equally hard as hell to get through. I have several twists and turns in mind but I don't want to make it a situation where you need to choose a single correct choice to continue past certain points. I'm thinking I will use two sex appeal stats (hidden during play) to track how each npc feels about the player. The sex scene is what I'm writing at the moment and it's just a minefield of complexity but it's hella fun to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment