2016-08-01

Fucked Up Burger Shack

It's been a long while since my last post to this blog. My previous project Crooked failed spectacularly. If you check my last blog post it is pretty clear that I was on a steep decent into madness working on that game. But after some time off and a lot of reflection I've found that I really love making these games. It's an itch I have to scratch, so here I am.

I've spent countless hours this year rebuilding my little 'text game system that could', fate. Even now there is so much to be done with it, but I'm sick of toiling away in silence so I thought I'd show where I'm at with things.

I'm working on a project that I call Fucked Up Burger Shack. The game is a mix of business sim and text based smut. You play as a young man who has inherited a food truck business from a deceased uncle. The business is self sustaining due to the deceased uncle's secret sauce recipe. I hate to give things away, but lets just say that the secret to the sauce is freshly squeezed semen.

Still with me? Great.

So I started working on the project at the beginning of this year, then ran into the same brick walls that I did with Crooked. The old version of fate was very deeply broken and the only thing I could think to do was throw it away or start over. I made the tough choice to start over mostly from scratch. I looked into using different environments and languages like java or c++, but settled on Unity again. The majority of the system functions the same, but coded in a much better way (I think). I don't have all of the previous features working, but the stuff that I wanted the most ~works~.

The features of the game so far:
    male player character
    a random encounter with a randomly generated man or woman with a few sex options. (you can filter men/women in game or through modding)
    basic story introduction with a few linear story events that follow
    primitive food truck business simulation (it's really quite shit)
    modifiable game source using plain text files and a special format
    windows, mac, and linux builds

So I have a lot more to do with Fucked Up Burger Shack but the game is playable. I have a mountain of ideas and a lot of enthusiasm for where the game is headed. Releasing just a basic demo is an important milestone for me. I hope to have it ready to play in the coming days.

4 comments:

  1. Good to see you back. Sad about the other game, it looked interesting, but very complicated. Its a good idea to bring it down a little, your game, "Next door girl April" was simple, but very well executed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and that's a good point. Making things more complicated definitely does not make them better. If anything I've learned that having fun is far more important than trying to do something technically interesting but overly complicated.

      Delete
  2. How extensively will this game utilize the content of the 'Auto-replace penis' blog post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually had to look up that post, and boy, what was I smoking? :S

      I haven't implemented random selection in embedded statements yet. I call [any(random), "100% all-beef thermometer", "ankle spanker", "arbor vitae"...] an embed. The 'any(random)' part isn't tough to do, but I just haven't needed it yet because I use the rule system a lot.

      For example you could have a thing like this:
      ---
      :: Start
      Wow, just check out that [^Penis].

      :: Penis - 100% all-beef thermometer [rule(^Penis)]
      100% all-beef thermometer

      :: Penis - ankle spanker [rule(^Penis)]
      ankle spanker

      :: Penis - arbor vitae [rule(^Penis)]
      arbor vitae
      ---

      The rule system is like the cornerstone of everything. It can handle creating the same kind of dynamic replacements as that old post with a slightly different syntax. Here is a little excerpt from a random encounter in the game:
      ---
      [$randoShe, titlecase] does the work [$randoHerself] like a god damn pro. Using her [^randoLegs] as leverage, the [^randoBabe] bounces expertly on your fun stick. The sight and feeling of [$randoHer] [^randoAss] flopping against your lap drives you mad.
      ---

      Embeds can print variables or the contents of simple text passages.

      Delete