2015-01-14

50th post, 2015 goals, New project... again

50th post get. I guess having a blog is nice. Here is something new with the system, toggles and toggle groups. These work something like input boxes, immediately setting keys once they are toggled on or off.

The code:
input("text", $lastName, "Last Name")
input("text", $firstName, "First Name")
toggle($gender, "Gender - <i>select one</i>", "Male", enum.male, "Female", enum.female, "Non-Binary", enum.nonBinary)
toggle($family, "Family - <i>select one</i>", "Single", enum.single, "Married", enum.married, "Separated", enum.separated, "Divorced", enum.divorced, "Widowed", enum.widowed)
input("integer", $childrenCount, "Children Count")
toggle($race, "Race - <i>select one</i>", "American Indian/Alaskan Native", enum.native, "Asian/Pacific Islander", enum.asian, "Black", enum.black, "Hispanic/Latino", enum.latino, "White", enum.white)
The Result:

So last year I did two things. I started new projects and worked on them up until I found something wrong with my game system. At that point I would tear down the system to change how it worked, then find myself starting a new project again. I think this was a good thing in the long term because the system works better because of it. Problem is I didn't finish any actual games.

This year things are better. I believe the system is stable enough to use without needing to make big destructive changes. And now I'm left with a bunch of projects at various levels of playability. I've considered asking around various forums for opinions on which of them sounds the best, but really any of them would be good. The thing is, I've been super interested in RPGs recently. I want to make a game where you create a character and do RPG kind of stuff.

The past few weeks I've been adding features to the system to support text based RPGs. At the same time I've been designing a new project currently called Crooked. 

So the premise is you play a cop in the troubled Red Light District of Bunkville. You start as a simple patrol officer and eventually rise up the ranks to be Chief of Police. Okay more realistically detective or Captain. The interesting part is what kind of cop you want to be. You can play as a legit officer who sincerely wants to clean up the city, or, and this might be a more popular option, you can play a corrupt cop interested in dirty money via bribery, drugs etc.

I'm putting a lot of thought into how the game should play out. Ideally you would be free to patrol the city looking for trouble or helping others. As you do good deeds or the opposite, your reputation changes and spreads, causing locals to like/dislike you. The police force is made up of good cops and bad ones who will also treat you accordingly. The other important stat is stress. You'll have to find creative ways to manage the stress associated with the job (childish snicker).

There is a lot of work to do to make this game a reality, but I'm committed to it. I've set a pact to not start any new projects this year ... aside from this one, this is the one. So it's this or nothing. Two weeks into the new year and I basically have very little written but a lot of design work done. You can currently get through the basic introduction of how you join the force, then create your character.

One thing that I'm not so sure about is the amount of information to ask in the character creation part. On one hand the less that is customizable, the easier it will be to manage. On the other hand having all of the details saved upfront is useful in case I need something later on. To some extent things should be open to change in the game too. I mean getting a haircut or a boob job for example.

I started with an actual application from a police department, then added a bunch of pervy stuff. Here is a dump of the values that are stored for characters and how they can be customized.

Background Info
$firstName        ""
$lastName        ""
$family            single, married, separated, divorced, widowed
$childrenCount    ##
$race             native, asian, black, latino, white

Body Info
$ass            flat, teardrop, appleBottom, ghettoBooty, largeMarge
$ballSize        small, average, large
$breastSize        flat, small, average, large, massive
$eyeColor        ""
$gender            male, female, nonBinary
$hairColor        ""
$genitals        penis, vagina
$height            short, average, tall
$hipWidth        average, wide, veryWide
$looks            ugly, average, attractive
$muscles        puny, average, muscular
$nippleColor    pink, brown
$nippleType        flat, average, puffy, inverted
$penisGirth        veryThin, thin, average, thick, veryThick
$penisHead        small, average, large, mushroom
$penisLength    veryShort, short, average, long, veryLong
$physicalAge    earlyTwenties, lateTwenties, thirties, forties, fifties, sixties
$skinColor        ""
$weight            lean, average, thick

My first milestone is having the player complete the first day of Field Training with a choice of a crooked or clean cop mentor. At that point I'll try bothering people to test it out. Any thoughts or ideas about this game idea would be appreciated. Especially comments about these character creation things.

6 comments:

  1. I like the idea, hopefully it gives off a bit of a police quest vibe :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll have to play some of those for 'research'.

      Delete
  2. I like it. And I'm really hoping it's "this" rather than "nothing". Your games are so good, so I really wish you'd commit more to making them playable and adding content. ^^"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I appreciate that. I think it was inevitable that I would end up building my own system to build my games. The down side is the amount of time that took ate up time I have to work on the actual games themselves. I knew the costs when I started with it back in 2013, but I really believe it was a worthy sacrifice. Seeing NDGA work in the system now is a good enough sign to me that I can get back to just building games (if that makes sense).

      Delete
  3. Oh yeah I can see this being good. I'd like to make an RPG but Inform 7's restrictions on dynamic objects make that pretty difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like there would be helpful extensions for RPG type of games in Inform. But I know that there are always things that are just a pain to try and do in a system that isn't made for them. I stopped using Twine because of stuff that frustrated me, and now that I'm working in Unity I have a different set of problems in my way. I look at it kind of like I traded issues writing in Twine for issues making a text based game in a 3d game engine.

      Delete