2013-06-15

New project

After a lot of work on Next Door Girl April, I have decided to put it on hold.
I honestly thought I could rebuild the story in 3d, but it turns out my assumptions were wrong.
It just wasn't fun to play and building it felt more like a chore than I'd like.
The core of the issue is finding out what the game should actually be.
Displaying all of the text of the original story along side of characters acting it out is just strange.
Removing the descriptive part of the text and leaving only the dialogue felt very empty.
Having the models just act out various sex scenes isn't really a game at all, but more of a simulation.
It is incredibly easy to criticize sex scenes in video games, until you are actually the one trying to create one yourself.



I am not sure how to solve these problems, so for now I am moving onto a new project that I call The Midnight Room.
I am going to stick with Twine for this one, and very likely will remain text only.
This time I am writing without separating the dialogue, so it reads more like a normal novel would.
Fortunately it is coming along pretty well and I look forward to releasing a version of it by the end of June.
Most importantly I'm having a lot more fun writing so I think this is the best choice.
Thanks for checking this out, here is an image of the twine graph so far.


1 comment: